Hotel maintenance is a very important topic for discussion in the hospitality industry. Hotel maintenance not only affects the entire environment of the hotel but also affects the check-in experience for the guests. Therefore, the hotel should be maintained regularly to ensure their facilities and environment are kept in top condition. In this essay, we will focus on the topic of hotel maintenance, including its significance, types, maintenance lists, and maintenance methods.
Hotel maintenance jobs are essential for any successful hospitality business. It involves regular upkeep of the hotel’s facilities and amenities to ensure that guests have a pleasant and comfortable stay. Hotel maintenance is not only important for the well-being of guests, but it also helps maintain the hotel’s reputation and increases its revenue.
Common hotel maintenance duties include tasks such as cleaning, repairs, inspections, preventive maintenance, pest control, landscaping and more. These activities help keep the hotel in top condition so that it can provide a safe and pleasant environment to its guests. Additionally, regular maintenance can help extend the life of the hotel assets and reduce long-term costs associated with repairs or replacements.
What Places Use Hotel Maintenance?
With the development of modern services industry, the hotel business can divide into various types. As mentioned above, hotel maintenance plays an important role in the hospitality industry, as it ensures that all hotel facilities and services are running smoothly. Thus, no matter what type of hotel business, hotel maintenance is needed.
Specifically, it can be applied to:
- Student housing/assisted living facilities/and conference centers
- Other similar establishments provide lodging and hospitality services to guests
Typical types of Maintenance in Hotels
Routine maintenance refers to daily maintenance of hotel items, which most directly affect the staying experience of the guests. The routine maintenance generally includes guest room cleaning, hotel lobby cleaning, changing guest toiletries, air conditioning inspection, and so on. It is an essential part of hotel maintenance and is usually done daily.
Reactive maintenance refers to the repair behavior after the item broken down. It is more common for people to change a light bulb after it burns out, rather than when it is still working. The cost of reactive maintenance is the lowest, but it is also the most difficult to budget. Therefore, it is not suitable for long-term maintenance.
Preventative maintenance is the most commonly seen maintenance in hotels. Usually, the preventative maintenance process is the act of performing regularly scheduled maintenance activities to prevent unplanned failures in the future from occurring. In short, fix it before it breaks.
For example, check the equipment regularly for abnormal noise and vibration, replace parts that might be damaged or prone to damage, repaint the furniture, repair cracks in the ceiling, and so on.
By performing preventative maintenance, we can prevent and detect equipment that could cause damage and potentially harm future operations, minimizing the risk of loss.
Commonly Seen Hotel Maintenance List
Hotel room cleaning and maintenance
Hotel room cleaning and maintenance are important activities aimed at providing a clean, organized, and functional staying environment to guests.
This involves regular tasks such as dusting, vacuuming, mopping, and disinfecting surfaces, as well as periodic tasks like deep cleaning, decluttering, and organizing.
The frequency of these activities depends on the use and occupancy of the room, but it is generally recommended to clean and maintain a room at least once a day. This helps to maintain good hygiene, prevent the spread of germs, and keep the space in good condition, so that can attract more guests to your hotel.
Hotel networking maintenance
Hotel networking maintenance involves the upkeep and repair of a hotel’s computer network and computerized maintenance management system to ensure they are functioning properly and securely. Regular hotel networking maintenance is important for ensuring the functionality and security of a hotel’s information technology systems, as well as for providing guests with reliable and fast internet access.
This includes tasks such as:
- Regularly checking and update firewalls, antivirus software, and other security measures to prevent hacking and data breaches.
- Monitoring network performance and fixing any issues, such as slow connections or dropped signals.
- Checking and replacing equipment, such as routers, switches, and access points, if they are outdated or not functioning properly.
- Testing and configuring Wi-Fi networks to ensure guests have reliable and fast access to the internet.
- Regularly backing up important data and files to prevent data loss in case of hardware failure or natural disaster.
Landscaping and groundskeeping
Landscaping and groundskeeping refer to the design, construction, and maintenance of outdoor spaces, including tasks such as creating and arranging plants, mowing the lawn, pruning shrubs and trees, removing debris, and maintaining irrigation systems. A beautiful hotel’s appearance can leave a deep impression on individuals and can make the repurchase rate higher.
Swimming pool maintenance
Swimming pools usually appear in some resort hotels, high-end hotels, etc. A clean and comfortable pool environment is conducive to keeping guests in a good mood and enhancing their sense of experience. Swimming pool maintenance involves regular tasks to keep a pool clean, safe, and properly functioning.
This includes tasks such as:
- Vacuuming the pool to remove any dirt or sand from the bottom.
- Balancing the chemicals in the water ensures proper pH levels and prevents the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Cleaning and backwashing the filter system to keep the water circulation system functioning properly.
- Inspecting and maintaining the pool’s pumps, heaters, and other equipment to ensure proper operation.
Electrical and lighting maintenance
Electrical and lighting maintenance involves the inspection, repair, and replacement of electrical systems and lighting fixtures in a building. Regular electrical and lighting maintenance is important for ensuring the safety of a building and its occupants, reducing the safety risk of electrical fires, and prolonging the life of electrical systems and lighting fixtures.
This kind of maintenance includes:
- Checking electrical panels and circuits for loose or frayed wiring, and replacing damaged components.
- Testing and replacing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure proper operation.
- Inspecting and tightening electrical connections to prevent shorts and fires.
- Replacing burned-out light bulbs and checking fixtures for proper operation.
- Upgrading lighting systems to improve energy efficiency and lower electricity costs.
Plumbing and bathroom maintenance
Plumbing and bathroom maintenance involves the upkeep of a building’s plumbing and bathroom fixtures to ensure proper functioning and prevent water damage. Frequent clean and hygienic maintenance is especially important in hotel guest rooms and public bathrooms, where guests are most likely to come into contact with them. After all, only in this way can guests live in peace of mind, comfort and happiness.
This includes tasks such as:
- Checking for leaks and drips in pipes, faucets, and toilets and fixing any issues.
- Clearing clogs in drains and toilets to prevent blockages and backups.
- Inspecting and maintaining water heaters to ensure hot water is available and to prevent leaks.
- Cleaning and maintaining showerheads, sink faucets, and other bathroom fixtures to prevent corrosion and mineral buildup.
- Regularly check for signs of mold and mildew in the bathroom and address any issues promptly.
HVAC system maintenance
HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) system maintenance is the process of regularly inspecting, cleaning, and repairing a building’s HVAC system to ensure that it is functioning correctly and efficiently.
HVAC system maintenance should be performed at least once a year by a professional technician, and more frequently in some cases. Proper HVAC maintenance can prolong the life of the system, improve indoor air quality, reduce energy costs, and prevent unexpected breakdowns.
Specifically, HVAC system maintenance includes changing air filters, cleaning air ducts, inspecting and tightening electrical connections, checking refrigerant levels and pressure, examining and cleaning the condenser and evaporator coils to remove dirt and debris, and so on.
Regular elevator maintenance is important for ensuring the safety of passengers and prolonging the life of the elevator. Hiring a hotel maintenance professional for elevator repair and maintenance service is recommended for all elevator maintenance tasks, as elevators can be dangerous to work on without proper training and experience.
Each hotel should be finished elevator maintenance regularly, in detail, including:
- Regularly inspecting and testing the elevator’s safety features, such as emergency brakes and alarms.
- Maintaining the elevator’s mechanical and electrical systems, such as the motors, cables, and control panels.
- Cleaning and lubricating the elevator’s moving parts to prevent wear and tear.
- Testing and adjusting the elevator’s doors, controls, and lighting to ensure proper operation.
- Performing routine load tests to confirm that the elevator is functioning within its weight capacity.
Smart lock maintenance
The smart lock plays a significant role in providing a good hotel experience for guests. A smooth and comfortable lockpicking experience can elevate the guest experience and make guests happy and impressed. Smart lock maintenance involves the upkeep and repair of smart locks to ensure they are functioning properly and securely.
Common maintenance tasks such as:
- Keeping the lock software up-to-date by downloading and installing firmware updates.
- Checking and replacing batteries regularly to ensure the lock has a consistent power source.
- Cleaning the lock and checking for any physical damage, such as scratches or dents, that may affect its operation.
- Testing the lock regularly to ensure it is responsive and working properly.
Tips Help Take Your Hotel’s Maintenance Needs to the Next Level
Implement hotel maintenance management software
First of all, we have to admit that computers are more sensitive than our brains. Computers have powerful storage systems and operational capabilities, which can help us record daily files/data, perform fast calculations, analyze and maintain data, and more.
Hotel maintenance software is a common tool in the hotel industry that can help us in improving the efficiency of hotel maintenance operations, reducing manual operations, ensuring data accuracy, and providing provide a better guest experience.
The functions of maintenance software include recording maintenance tasks, maintenance plans, managing inventory, and maintenance history, which can track the operation of equipment and find frequent problems.
Make a hotel housekeeping staff training plan
A hotel housekeeping staff training plan is a comprehensive program designed to educate and train hotel maintenance staff on the skills and knowledge they need to perform their maintenance jobs effectively.
By investing in the skills and development of their employees, the hotel staff can provide a more professional service to hotel guests, which makes their guests more satisfied.
A typical hotel employee training plan should include: skills training, customer service training, hotel safety training, hotel management training, and more.
Diligent in proactive maintenance
Proactive maintenance is also named preventative maintenance. As we have mentioned before, preventative maintenance plan means repairing items before they break. Don’t think it’s just futile. Regularly implementing a proactive maintenance program, you can find the device trouble from daily tasks, so that you can prevent larger problems and prolong the life of equipment and fixtures.
In detail, by being diligent in preventative maintenance, hotel operators can minimize the need for reactive maintenance, which can reduce the likelihood of equipment failure, and ensure that guests have a comfortable and safe experience. Moreover, proactive maintenance can reduce maintenance costs, increases property value, and identifies and eliminates potential safety hazards.
Strengthen effective communication
Clear and effective communication between maintenance workers, management, and guests is crucial in ensuring smooth and efficient hotel operations. Good communication helps in better coordination of tasks, prevents miscommunication, and resolves maintenance issues in a timely manner, leading to customer satisfaction and well-maintained property.
To strengthen communication, hotel operators can consider the following tips:
- Establish clear communication channels, such as email, phone.
- Encourage open communication.
- Clearly define roles and responsibilities.
- Hold regular meetings.
- Provide training in effective communication skills, such as active listening, clear messaging.
With more than 20 years of smart lock experience, YGS could provide a set of hotel door lock management solutions for your hotel business.
Jan 6, 2022 | Resources
Hotel is a places with a large flow of people and strong liquidity, so more and more social risks pose a threat to the hotel industry. Hoteliers have a great responsibility to ensure the safety of their customers and themselves…
Many people will choose to stay in the hotel for short or long business trips. So the safety of the hotel is closely related to us. In this article, you will learn about some measures to secure hotel door and make your stay more secure. Why do we need to secure the…
Nov 30, 2022 | Resources
The emergence of the covid-19 is like a big test, which tested the ability of various industries to resist risks, deal with crises, and survive in adversity. Among them, one of the most affected industries is the hotel industry. Under the epidemic situation, most…
Contactless Check-in Hotel or Traditional Check-in Hotel, Which one is better?
Dec 19, 2022 | Resources
The concept of “contactless check-in hotel” came with COVID-19. Now, although the global epidemic is calming down, this “contactless” demand has not weakened, but…
A complete guide for hotel mobile check in
In recent years, mobile check-in technology has been rapidly popularized in the travel industry. Especially in the hotel industry, hotel mobile check in technology allows guests to choose traditional check-in or contactless check-in...
Are the Hotel Access Control Systems Necessary for Your Business?
Nov 22, 2022 | Resources
In this smart era, hotel access control systems are popular in hotels from big brands to smart hotels. Are the systems necessary for hotels? In my opinion, it is necessary…