Currently, the hospitality industry is experiencing an unprecedented boom in the era of fully opened travel. As hotels face intense competition, it has become crucial to elevate guest experiences and prioritize safety measures, particularly when it comes to door locks for hotels. This article aims to provide you with an in-depth understanding of hotel door locks, including the various types of locks used in hotel rooms.
Additionally, we will recommend supplementary tools that can further enhance hotel room door security. And we will introduce you to cutting-edge keyless entry solutions being implemented in top hotels worldwide, while also highlighting key considerations to help you make informed decisions.
Join us on this captivating journey into the realm of hotel door locks as we explore ways to ensure guest safety and convenience.
Hotel Door Locks
1. Keypad Door Lock
Many hotels use keypad door locks as a security measure. This type of lock utilizes a keypad (or combination of buttons) to enter a password for unlocking, making it easy to operate and convenient for users. Keypad locks eliminate the need for physical keys or key cards and allow guests to unlock with a unique password.
The electronic keypad lock can store over ten thousand passwords, and the combinations can be changed at will. It can also be equipped with an alarm system. It is easy to access, offers flexible code management, and providessecurity.
2. Digital Key Door Lock
Digital key door locks, also known as smartphone key locks, allow hotel guests to use their mobile phone as digital keys to access their rooms. Guests no longer need traditional physical keys or keycards.
Instead, they use a special hotel application to remotely control the guest room door lock. With smart technology, mobile key locks are becoming increasingly popular in the hotel industry. They provide guests with a modern seamless check-in experience and streamline check-in and check-out processes, improving hotel efficiency.
3. Biotech Door Lock
There are various types of biometric access in daily life, such as facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, vein recognition, iris recognition, voice recognition, and more. As a result of their high costs and maintenance expenses, they are rarely used in the hotel industry.
But there are two lock types of biotech door locks that are mostly used in hotels, fingerprint identification, and facial identification. Biometric door locks use unique biological features to grant access permissions. When checking in, you only need to register your personal identification information, such as fingerprints.
Then, you can unlock your commercial door lock with your fingerprint directly. Keyless access, no worries about lost keys, convenience, and security.
Key card door locks electronic hotel door lock by using corresponding card readers. This type of door lock is the most widely used electronic lock system in the hospitality industry. There types: RFID hotel door locks and magnetic card hotel door locks.various types of cards, including magnetic cards, IC cards, RFID cards, etc. They serve as password carriers and control the
(1) RFID Hotel Door Locks: RFID card smart locks are still the primary electronic locks promoted in the hotel lock market. These locks rely on radio frequency identification technology andprogrammed key cards or key fobs that allow access to specific rooms. The RFID card has a built-in chip that is sealed and highly resistant to tampering, providing advanced identification technology.
(2)Hotel Door Locks: Magnetic cards are a kind of unlocking key, and they are credit cards. After the magnetic card is magnetized, it retains the same properties as the changing current and records the information sent by the current. The door lock reader verifies access permissions by identifying this information.
Magnetic cards are cost-effective and easy to read and write, but they are also prone to wear and demagnetizationThey were the earliest smart cards used in hotel room locks, and even now, some small hotels still use them, although they are on the verge of being phased out.
Hotel Access Control System
Hotel access control machines are generally installed at the hotel entrance or the first door leading to the interior of the building. They are mainly used to control access within the building and enhance overall security.
Hotel access control systems typically offer various access methods, including card swiping, facial recognition, fingerprint scanning, password input, and mobile access. The specific methods available depend on the type and model of your machine.
Additional Locking Mechanisms
Additional locking mechanisms for hotel room doors are usually installed on the interior side of the door, allowing partial opening. They are designed to provide an extra layer of security for guests.
(1) Hotel Chain Locks: Hotel chain locks consist of a chain attached to the door frame and a small sliding plate or rod connected to the door. When closed, the chain extends from the door frame, allowing partial opening while still providing security. This feature enables guests to communicate or verify identities with individuals outside the room before fully opening the door.
(2) Hotel Security Latch: A hotel security latch is a lock installed on the interior side of the door, typically composed of a sliding metal rod or bolt that extends from the door into a strike plate or keeper on the door frame. The security latch provides an additional barrier to prevent unauthorized entry. It can be engaged or disengaged from inside the room using a lever or knob.
(3) Hotel “U” Bar Lock: The hotel “U” bar lock is another common type of additional locking device found in hotel rooms. It is a “U”-shaped metal bar attached to the door frame and extends through the door when engaged. The “U” bar lock provides extra security by preventing forceful opening. It is usually manually operated and can be swung to the side or removed when not in use.
Hotel Portable Door Lock Series
Portable door locks are convenient tools that can enhance your room door security. They are often used in temporary situations where you need to secure a door. They are easy to install and remove without permanent modifications to the door or lock.
They are particularly useful when staying in hotels, renting accommodations, or traveling. There are different types of portable door locks available on the market. Commonly seen include:
Original Portable Door Lock
The original portable door lock is a compact and lightweight device designed to provide additional security for doors. It typically consists of a metal plate that connects to the door frame’s strike plate, preventing the door from opening from the outside.
- Easy to install without permanent door modifications.
- Small and lightweight, it can easily fit in your pocket.
- Only suitable for inward-opening doors.
- Only compatible with standard door types, not suitable for larger bolts or door shapes.
- The screw for the gap between the frame and door cannot be adjusted.
Adjustable Portable Door Lock
The adjustable portable door lock is similar to the original version butto various door widths. It usually has an expandable or adjustable mechanism that allows you to customize its size to fit different door frames.
- Suitable for double-sided out-swing doors.
- Palm-sized design, easy to carry, appropriate for home, bedroom, apartment, office, or travel.
- Compatible with most doors – Designed for hinged doors with extended lengths to fit a wide range of sizes.
- Flat metal design that may damage the door when forced entry is attempted.
- May not be suitable for narrow door gaps.
Door Stop Alarm
The door stop alarm serves as both a door stop and an alarm system. It is placed on the floor in front of the door. When pressure is applied to the door, it triggers a loud alarm, alerting you that unauthorized entry is occurring. Door-stop alarms are portable and often have adjustable sensitivity settings. They are particularly useful in hotel rooms or other temporary accommodations.
- Double protection by creating resistance and doubling force to deter unauthorized entry.
- Comes with an alarm to draw attention to people inside and scare away intruders.
- Requires batteries to alarm.
- Requires hardwood floor surface, not suitable for carpeted areas.
Door Stop Bar
The door stop bar is sturdy and adjustable. One end is placed at the bottom of the door handle, and the other end is connected to the floor. This is to prevent the door from being forced open. Door stop bars are typically height-adjustable to accommodate different door sizes and provide enhanced security.
- Easy installation
- Foldable door jammer is easy to store and can be placed in the center of the door track.
- The security door bar is best used on hardwood, vinyl, tile, and carpeted flooring.
- Relatively large in size, not suitable for small bags.
- Not suitable for loose carpets or mats.
Door Stop Jammer
The door stop jammer is a portable door interference device. It is placed at the bottom of the door and features a rotating mechanism to secure the door in place. Jammers usually have adjustableand can be positioned to generate powerful resistance against forced entry.
- lightweight, it can be carried in a bag.
- Installation and removal take only a few seconds, convenient and easy to use.
- Only supports doors with gaps.
- Not suitable for carpets or dirt floors.
How to Choose the Ideal Hotel Door Lock System?
When you read this, I believe you must be curious about how to choose the most suitable hotel door lock system for yourself. In fact, selecting the right hotel door lock system is not easy at all. First, you need to determine your own needs, market demands, and compare different brands. Here are some factors that need careful consideration when choosing and purchasing a hotel door lock system:
- Market Analysis: Understand which type of people have the highest demand for hotels and their preferences. Also, learn about the trends in the hotel industry, such as which types of hotels are growing rapidly and which types are being phased out. Use market analysis to determine the positioning of your hotel.
- Determine Needs: Confirm your needs based on the positioning of your hotel. For example, if you want to go the smart hotel route, your needs will include keyless access control systems and IoT integration solutions.
- Determine Budget: Set a budget for the door lock system, including initial installation costs and ongoing maintenance expenses. While balancing cost considerations is important, prioritize security and reliability over price.
- Security Requirements: The primary function of a door lock system is to ensure the safety of hotel guests. Look for a system that provides robust security features such as encryption, anti-tamper mechanisms, and access control options like keycards or keycodes.
- System Integration: If you already have other systems in place or if you want to create a seamless check-in experience for your hotel guests, ensure that the selected door lock system can support third-party system integration.
- Brand Comparison: Successful smart lock brands are backed by high-quality products and reliable after-sales service. Therefore, choosing an experienced and highly-ranked brand provides more assurance. Below, we will recommend some excellent smart lock solutions for your reference, so please keep reading.
Uncover more vital details into hotel lock system prices and selection by simply clicking on the related article below.
How to Pick a Hotel Door Lock?
Analysis of Hotel Door Lock System Price
Types of hotel door locks
8 Best Hotel Door Locks: Contactless Check-in Solution
VingCard Signature (by ASSA ABLOY)
VingCard Signature is an electronic locking system commonly used in hotels. Unlike traditional bulky door locks, the VingCard Signature lock features a separate component lock design that looks stylish and modern.
It offers various finishes for the card reader and interchangeable handles, allowing itspecific style requirements. The upgraded VingCard Signature lock also devices. This allows guests to access their rooms instead of physical key cards, enhancing the overall guest experience.
VingCard Novel (by ASSA ABLOY)
The VingCard Novel lock features a new integrated design that pushes minimalist aesthetics. Despite its simple and compact appearance, the VingCard Novel lock continues to offer the latest and most extensive RFID technology and keyless solutions provided by ASSA ABLOY. This enhances both hotel style and security. It can replace old locks of any size and shape with the appropriate cover plate.
Confidant features elegant lines and clean aesthetics, making it look high-end and sophisticated. It supports NFC contactless technology and Dormakaba’s mobile access solutions, allowing keyless entry and rendering it more intelligent and convenient to use.
The Confidant lock can be used with Dormakaba’s access management softwareas a standalone device. This makes it suitable for a wide range of settings such as hotels and homes.
Saflok MT RFID (by Dormakaba)
MT RFID locks are fully electronic devices. The simple and smooth surface and the lines on the card reader add to its aesthetic appeal. This lock also supports contactless and mobile access technology, improving guest convenience and operational efficiency.
Guests can use their mobile devices as room keys, enabling seamless check-ins. It is easy to install and operate, making it an ideal choice for replacing old mechanical or electronic door locks. And it is suitable for small to large hotels.
Yale Linus® Smart Lock (by Yale)
Yale Linus® smart locks can make your door look smarter. The small and simple design fits most doors on the market. Keyless entry, real-time data upload, remoteand simplify your life. And it allows auto locking, preventing you from forgetting to lock the door. Linus® is visually appealing, but also easy to install, taking just a few minutes to set up.
A8 Fingerprint Card Split Lock (by Adel)
Adel A8 is a smart door lock designed for hotel, school, and office applications. It has an elegant and stylish appearance with a robust dual-cylinder lock structure. It offers multiple ways to open the door, including fingerprint recognition, card recognition, and mechanical key recognition, making it practical and convenient. Powered by batteries, it requires minimal wiring and is easy to install on most standard doors.
YGS-9916 (by YGS)
YGS-9916 lock features an original design by YGS (appearance patent: ZL201330134679.X). Stainless steel straight-panel sleek design and back acrylic panel combination design exude a classic and luxurious feel. The contrasting colors between the panel and the side edges create a striking visual effect.
Equipped with YGS’s independently developed smart hotel management system, ease of real, and low-cost operations. The lock system supports key card unlocking, mobile devices remote unlocking, and emergency unlocking using mechanical keys. And the system records the unlocking method for each door lock, providing efficient hotel management and ensuring guest safety.
YGS-9905 (by YGS)
YGS-9905 is a popular type of YGS hotel lock, favored by high-end hotels and boutique accommodations. Unlike traditional large-panel hotel locks, the YGS-9905 cleverly hides the magnetic card-sensing component inside the door.
The panel retains a lightweight handle and a magnetic card-sensing reader, which can be customized according to the hotel’s needs, supporting unique patterns and logos.
The upgraded YGS-9905 hotel lock can be compatible with smart hotel systems, creating a keyless experience for guests. The entire system adopts a modular approach, allowing for unified deployment and efficient management of the entire hotel.
As a leading supplier of smart locks in the industry, we offer a complete set of advanced hotel smart lock solutions. This includes innovative hardware design and powerful software features. Our smart lock products utilize high-quality materials and advanced encryption technology to ensure security and reliability.
Whether it’s a traditional door lock or near-field communication technology, we can provide solutions suitable for all types of hotels. For more smart hotel solutions, please continue to follow YGS smart lock blog. If you are interested in our solution, don’t hesitate to contact us. YGS will not disappoint you!